How to get rid of carpenter ants
In their natural habitat, carpenter ants are particularly useful insects for the ecosystem. On the other hand, they are detrimental when they infest a home due to the damages they cause.
This is one of the reasons why our ant exterminators are in high demand: these insects are constantly invading Quebec homes.
Fortunately, there are methods for solving this problem and getting rid of carpenter ants.
Understand carpenter ants to identify infestation signs
You don’t need us to tell you that the best way to eliminate a problem is to directly address the cause. Getting rid of ants therefore starts by understanding them and their behaviour.
What are carpenter ants?
Out of all ants in Quebec, carpenter (camponotus) ants are the most easily recognizable because of their black and red bodies. They are also bigger than other ants, measuring up to 25 mm long, with thin bodies and arched antennas.
These ants of the Formicidae family are named after their nest since they dig wood and form smooth tunnels inside. Contrary to popular belief, carpenter ants do not eat wood, they simply dig and chew it to create their nests.
What are the signs of infestation?
Apart from the presence of these insects, the only sign of a carpenter ant infestation is the appearance of small holes on the surface of wood. Ants expel debris mostly wood chips, through these openings and the accumulation of this debris under the holes is a good indication of an active infestation. Carpenter ants usually attack softened wood and can often be found where there are moisture problems.
Tips and tricks to get rid of these insects in your home
Now that you know their habits, you should watch for excess moisture and decomposing softened wood in your home. In the meantime, the goal is to get rid of the problem as fast as possible. Here are some tips to apply immediately:
- Seal small openings at the bottom of doors and around windows. E.Exterminateur knows that this is not an easy task, which is why we offer a professional caulking service.
- If you locate the nest, use ant bait around it and in tunnels. Don’t use borax because is harmful to children and pets.
- Keep your home clean: as with many insects, cleanliness is one of the worst enemies of carpenter ants.
- Replace rotting or infested wood with wood in good condition and fix any moisture and ventilation problems in your home. Without this, your efforts will be useless and infestation will reoccur in full force.
- If the means at your disposal are limited, the best way to exterminate these insects is to use a pest control service. E.Exterminateur guarantees a professional and courteous service backed by extensive knowledge of insects and other pests in Quebec.
Call E.Exterminateur to get rid of carpenter ants once and for all
Very few people who suffer infestations have the knowledge or equipment necessary to get rid of the problem once and for all. As Quebec exterminators, our goal is to get rid of these pests on the long term rather than for a few weeks.
For more advice on getting rid of infestations or for the help of our experts, contact us!